Mar 30, 2009

The Sutra-lecturing Trip to the Hell-- Lingmei

The Sutra-lecturing Trip to the Hell

People sigh at how short and suffering life is. They remain greedy despite the blessings on them. They forget that the blessings are accumulated over their past lives, and they shall be subject to the wheel of life and death after the blessings are drawn down. They would be driven to tears should they know how much they have been through.
At the behest of Master, I went for a sutra-lecture trip while sitting in meditation, to ferry over the sentient beings. My contemplation showed that those people were waiting for me. I said, “Why such a hurry? I have just returned from another realm.” Nevertheless, they were in such misery. In a flash of thoughts and amidst rays of golden light, I arrived at the Hell. King Yama greeted me in person, and made obeisance to me. I also saw numerous hell beings kneeling down before me. Before I could take a closer look, King Yama said, “Venerable Master, thank you for your kindness to come here. Please forgive us for being so anxious. It is all because there is too much suffering and we can only gain release with the merits and virtues of the Sutra. Please have mercy on us and proclaim the Sutra so that we get the benefits…”
I replied, “At Master’s behest, I have come here to lecture the Sutra of Longevity for you. Please calm down. Do not get too anxious. I will do my utmost to lecture it for you, and you please listen attentively to gain the most benefits from the Sutra. There is no need to describe to you how numerous the benefits you shall gain if you receive fully the power of the Sutra.
I recited to them the Sutra of Longevity, “At the same time, before expounding the Dharma, The Buddha, with His Spiritual Power, emitted different colourful lights, such as green lights, yellow lights, red lights, white lights and other lights, which shone forth from His face. In every ray of the colourful lights, there appeared uncountable Transformation Buddhas. Every Transformation Buddha was able to carry out inconceivable tasks of the Buddha, and transform uncountable and limitless Transformation Bodhisattvas. Everyone of the Transformation Bodhisattvas again praised, and sang about the merits and virtues of The Buddha. The lights which were emitted by the Buddha were subtly wonderful and immeasurable. They shone forth pervasively up to the Heavenly Dwelling of Neither Thought Nor Non-Thought and down to the Avici Hell, which covers eighty-thousand Yojanas. Those living beings who had encountered the illumination of the Buddha's Lights would naturally be mindful of the Buddha. Hence they were able to obtain skills-in-means in Zen concentration and attain the fruition position of The First Ground.”
As I spoke the Sutra for them, the Hell transformed into Pure Lotus Pond and all the offenders felt refreshed and blissful. I no longer felt fearful as when I had first arrived. I found myself sitting on a lotus and expanding endlessly, and emitting fine beams of light that pervasively illumined the Hell. It was not until then did I realize that the Hell was of more than eighteen layers. I had been to the Hell before the trip and I could hardly bear it to see how torturing it was.
Just when I was thinking that King Yama had yet to brief me on the Hell, he started to introduce to me the kings of each hell hall. I saw many familiar faces. Pardon me as I am not supposed to tell you who they are. I do bring back their words, though.
One of them said to me, “Please do convey the message to my descendants that they should perform more good deeds, and preferably cultivate the Buddha Dharma. The merits and virtues thus accumulated would benefit their descendants too. They should not simply rely on the virtues and merits I left to them. When they are all used up, nobody can help. Master, I shall always keep in mind your kindness and compassion.” I did convey the message for him, except I cannot reveal who he is.
Another one said to me, “My son was unkind to me when I was alive. Now the retribution has befallen him. Master, may you please exhort him to uphold the Sutra, cast away the evil habits and do good deeds? I can never thank you enough!” Still another one spoke to me, “Master, I felt purified and enlightened hearing you proclaim the Sutra. I now bid you farewell…” I cannot tell you who they are. It is a heavenly secret. Many of them have gained release from the Hell after listening to me lecture the sutra. I am not supposed to go to details about them.
I could not bear to see more. Before I took my departure, the earth spirits and Yama Kings of all the hell halls knelt down and made obeisance to me. They offered me with the merits and virtues they had accumulated. How could I afford to accept them? I transferred them all to Master.
King Yama came to me, made obeisance, and said, “Thanks to the blessings of the Buddha, the Hell has been transformed pure. It has been long since we last heard the Buddha’s talks, but your great love is felt today here in the Hell. The purity and clarity shall stay with us from now on, and we look forward to having you with us again. Master, may you please tell the people that the suffering in the hell is extreme beyond comparison. Please exhort them to cultivate the goodness and uphold the precious Sutra, and do it non-stop, generation after generation. It is indeed a pity that planting karma and receiving retributions constitutes a cycle that never comes to an end. Only the Sutra can release people from it.” I replied, “I will remember how sincere you are”, and was back.
After I was back, I heard a voice speaking to me, “ Worthy Disciple, it is a rewarding trip. Your mind has borne fruit even without blossoming of flowers. You have exerted kindness and compassion, and may return to Master…” Tears rained down on my cheeks. I fell down and made obeisance to Master. Again, the voice said to me, “You have tried your best. The mission has yet to be fulfilled. The journey is still on. Listen to the Buddha Sound with your mind. Buddha knows how dearly you hold Master in reverence.”
Upon Master’s instruction, I visited the Hell again this morning. It was still of untold suffering. Soon after I said, “King Yama, please”, the King appeared before me, and asked, “Master, is there anything I can do for you?” I asked the King how come the Hell remained so suffering.
King Yama replied, “The living beings have committed so many offenses that the Hell is crowded almost beyond its capacity.” It sent a shiver to my soul. I asked Master for a bestowal of power so that I could recite the Mantra from the Sutra of Longevity for them. In less than a second as I recited it, the Hell was transformed into a Pure Lotus Pond. Those hearing it gained release instantly. King Yama bowed to me and said, “Master, we can never repay your kindness enough. The suffering in the Hell is untold. The Sutra is more precious than gold and we shall uphold it diligently. I’d like to exhort all the living beings to cultivate to improve themselves. In this way, they shall never have to be tortured in the Hell.
The trip brings home to me an important truth: The Sutra of Longevity is really a treasure, but we’d better uphold the Sutra ourselves. While I can recite it to ferry over those offenders in the Uninterrupted Hell who have committed the five unwholesome deeds and who otherwise will never obtain a release, they have to sincerely repent and reform first before being released.
Master, I have now somewhat understood your thoughts. We are obliged to rescue the beings. The Buddha ferries over whoever wants to be rescued. We ferry others over as we rescue ourselves. The other shore is not that far away. Turn the light and reflect within, and we shall reach it.
Amitabha-Buddha!

No comments: