Jan 16, 2009

About Slander -- Two dialouges between disciples

Lingwang enjoyed a smooth journey of cultivation after becoming a disciple of Master Zhenlin. She is obedient and reads the Sutra of Longevity as Master instructs. There has been no disturbance to her mind whatsoever. Therefore, she is quite vulnerable to the external rattling. One day, Lingwang by chance read an article that slandered against Master. She was full of indignation, and yet totally at a loss as to what to do. Her weaknesses in cultivation were thus revealed. In confusion, she talked to Sister Lingju and Lingjian. Hence the following two dialgues.



*I take great pride in the penetrating wisdom and firm faith shown by my sisters. Yes, they are my sisters, and disciples to my Master!
--Lingwang

A Dialogue between Lingju and Lingwang


Lingwang: Sister, I read an article that made groundless accusations against our Master. I feel so indignant. How can he do that to Master?

Lingju: He has created a serious karma. Heavn and Earth know it all. Take Master as an example. A genuine cultivator should not be impacted by that. Pay no attention to it even you read it or hear about the rumor. The superior tactic is not to argue with him. These groundless accusastions and slander against Master are a good test that helps to improve our willpower, faith, and cultivation. Therefore, we should instead pay homage to people like him with gratitude. We should be grateful to them that they make us a diamond from a piece of stone.


A Dialogue beween Lingjian and Lingwang


Lingwang: Sister, are you on-line?

Lingjian: Yes. I have yet to go to sleep.

Lingwang: I just read an article that slandered against master. I felt bad now.

Lingjian: Do not pay attention to it. A true cultivator should not read it.

Lingwang: His blog is Buddhism-related, so I thought I might read it as well. However, it only turned out that the first article was targested agaisnt our Master.

Lingjian: Master would scold you should he know it. Pay no attention to it! Focus on the cultivation of our mind!

Lingwang: I was so angry that I went out of control…and…left a message in his blog.

Lingjian: I know you would do it! Why create a karma of evil speaking for yourself? He shall receive the retribution sooner or later!

Lingwang: Why was I not aware of it? I should not commit the offense of evil speaking. It seems that I fail in this test of cultivation.

Lingjian: Take your time, and you shall make progress. Master once told us that there had been an evil-hearted disciple around Shakyamuni Buddha that always deliberately slandered against Him. The Buddha just let it be. He wanted people to see it clearly themselves, so that they got awakened. It is a good way of practice to improve our willpower.

Lingwang: Amitabha-Buddha! Sister, you used to be silent. Why, all of a sudden, you got awakened recently?

Lingjian: Master is like our father. Just listen to him and act accordingly. In fact, you should laugh happily after reading such an article.

Lingwang: Why?

Lingjian: Because he is unable to see the Master that we see.

Lingwang: Via what opportunity did you get awakened?

Lingjian: I made such a mistake before that I always wavered between faith and doubt. I was vulnerable to rumor and slander. Once when I was talking to Master, someone sent me a message saying something against Master.

Lingwang: How did you respond to that?

Lingjian: I asked Master how come he was always being attacked. Master then told me of the story about Shakyamuni Buddha. One of his disciples, whose name I cannot recall, was always intent to slander against Him. That is always being used as a lesson to remind the cultivators in the present era. Master said some of his disciples are just like that. I was still somewhat doubtful at that time. Then someone came to me and urged to visit another online-Room, which I did for several times. However, I could never find again the guy who asked me there. I then asked myself, “What kind of person are you? Believing in this for one day and discard it another day?” I wavered between faith and doubt for quite sometime until one day I read the article the most amazing thing, written by Lingxi, upon her return from a visit to Dongyue Temple where Master stays. That was the wake-up call for me. I left a comment there. You may take a look if you want.

Lingwang: Ok, I will.

Lingjian: For sometime I was disapponted about Master. He did not respond even I said Hello to him. Nor did Lingxi. I felt like an outsider. Did the diciples only talk to each other after they had known each other well? I did no log on to the UC room for some days. When I read the article by Lingxi the other day, however, I just got awakened and felt so remorseful.

Lingwang: Yes, Lingxi’s articles are always so touching and enligthening. I think it is a result of her strong vow power. She vows to keep in mind tightly her experience of getting sick and then miraculously (by reading the Sutra of Longevity). I got to know Master Zhenlin through her blog, actually.

Lingjian: Then Master read my article on Confession that day. It was the first time my article got published. I had thought of writing it as an alert to myself. After reading it, Master asked me whether he could have it published in his blog. I answered yes. Surely it is a good thing if my experience of getting awakened from delusion could serve to wake more people up.

Lingwang: Sister, thank you for saying all this to me. Otherwise, I would stay in a bad mood for a whole day today.

Lingjian: You should feel lucky that you can talk to me. Nobody was around to lead me when I was lost, for more than one month. Remeber, we should always adhere to our faith, and stick to the end. Do not give up half way. As a cultivator, we are the Buddha’s disciples, and Master’s children. Do not be afraid. Pluck up your courage, and go ahead!

No comments: