Apr 12, 2009

The Visit to Maitreya Bodhisattva--Lingmei

Lingmei’s Visit to Maitreya Bodhisattva

The mind of utmost sincerity is well known by Heaven. That you are mindful of the Buddha is testified by the actions taken to fulfill the vows.
As Master’s behest, I paid a visit to Maitreya Bodhisattva. As if in a trance, and with a flash of light, I arrived at somewhere. There was a road before me. It was a hardpacked gravel road whose surface was nonetheless very smooth, and extended forward without an end.
All of a sudden, I saw a glimmering object. It was kind of like a basin, but was very very large. Before I could take a closer look at it, I found myself in a totally different place.
It was different from my previous trips. I was flying, and wearing heavenly clothes, like the immortals we see in TV programs. Suddenly, the sound of music was heard. I flew past mountains and oceans to the music. I felt it was endless. I then thought of what Master had spoken to me. Perhaps I was in Maitreya Bodhisattva’s Cloth Bag of Heaven and Earth?
As I was thinking about it, a Buddha appeared before me. His head reaching the blue sky and His feet standing firmly on the earth. His countenance was inexpressibly adorned. He did not look like the Maitreya Bodhisattva we are familiar to, but by instinct I knew it was Him. I knelt down and bowed to Him, “At the best of Master, I have come to visit you for your instruction. May you please grant us the instruction?”
After I finished saying it, I looked up, and found the Buddha getting away further and further. I did not know what to do, but thought of what Master had told me that I should go to the inner court of the Tushita Heaven, where Maitreya Bodhisattva now lives. Hence I asked Master for a bestowal of power. In less a second I arrived at the Tushita Heaven. The Palaces were magnificent, and awe-inspiring. Well, I don’t know how to describe it. It was just inexpressibly superb. Actually, I did not feel it strange to me at all. I then asked Maiteiya Bodhisattva for a bestowal of power.
I said, “At the behest of Master, I have come for your Dharma instruction.”
I said, “At the behest of Master, I have come for your Dharma instruction.” Having said it, I saw a very large book. As if shaken by someone, it opened like a scroll extending from heaven to earth. When I tried to take a close look at it, it disappeared. A voice then spoke to my ears, “Tens of thousands of books are kept in the Sutra Storing Tower, and all of them are centered on cultivation of the mind.” I did not quite understand it. “Does Maitreya Bodhisattva refuse to meet me?”
As I was thinking over it, I felt it lightened before me. I was in a different place. Maitreya Bodhisattva appeared amidst the Buddha lights. Wow! Exactly as I had imagined, He looked so amicable. I felt incredibly warm and at comfort seeing His smile. Again, I knelt down, and bowed to Him, “At Master’s behest, I have come for your instruction.”
Maitreya Bodhsiattva said with a smile, ‘Set your mind at liberty. Why have it riddled with changing thoughts? It is as illusory as a dream. Why get obsessed to it? Be modest and empty it all as you shuttle around. Take it up when you are obliged to and put it down when it is gone. In a space of a breath, you have been to it all. Having experienced it all, it is your mind that matters in everything you do. You’d end up being hurt both mentally and physically, if you blindly follow the external marks. There is a sequence in how everything develops either in the heavens or earth. Cultivate according to the sequence, and you make yourself a fine jade.”
I did not understand it.
The Bodhisattva laughed and said, “Haw-haw. By the time you’ve seen it all, you’d find yourself at great leisureliness.”
I asked another question, “This is a question from my master. What can we do so that there are more Great Bodhisattvas than otherwise would by the time you come to the world?”
The Bodhisattva replied with a smile, “Quietly, the Buddhist scriptures and Dharma are connected and will be passed down. Don’t try to cut the corners. The teachings by any masters are consistent and that you should work on none other than the cultivation of the mind. Ong-ha-o-tuo. Recite it, and you’d enjoy great liberty as you will. Tuo-ma-li-ha. Recite it, regularly, and you'd rid of the attachment to the self, and won’t get deviated from the Proper Path. You shall enter the Proper Path of no self.
I was quite puzzled, “Bodhisattva, I don’t get it!”
The Bodhisattva, with kindness and love, rubbed my head, and said with a smile, “Your Master knows it. I have put all I have to say to you. Be it in the heavens or earth, Venerable Master is around to supervise you. Whatever it is that you are doing, it can always be achieved by the power of your vows.
I asked, “What should we disciples do?”

The Bodhisattva replied, “Do your best to forget about your “self” Take it as empty, and you’d transcend it. Wherever you are, set your mind in tune with the Dharma. Thousands of eons pass like a dream. Keep your mind awakened. We have always been in one. Which one is you anyway? It has been so long. You should smile at it, and move on hand in hand. View the life with a joyful heart, as you’ll find it full of wonderful moments. Hold on to single-mindfulness, and you’ll succeed in everything.”
I asked, “What can we do for Master?”
“Apply good efforts to cultivation, and your master can take care of himself. With earnest expectations, we hope you work on cultivation of the mind. The conditions shall manifest before you when ripe. Do not get over-ambitious. Subdue your thoughts. When you pray for something, we’ll appear in the state. By the time the flowers blossom, you’ll meet the Buddha. Seize the opportunity. The time and space is empty!”
I asked, “Do you have more instructions for us?”
Having said so much, it boils down to one line. Apply good efforts to cultivation, and Master shall manifest before you as you wish. All the states and the conditions that lead to the states are made by your thoughts. When your mind is at peace, there is no where you cannot reach.
I asked, “What can we disciples do so that there will be more Bodhisattvas than otherwise would be by the time you come to the world?”
Maitreya Bodhisattva said with a laughter, “Follow your master closely throughout the four seasons. The Great Way is at such great liberty that it transforms you wherever you are. Unite your minds and you’d accomplish it together. Cultivate upon the mind, with faith, vows, and practice.
Before I could put another one, the Bodhisattva rubbed my head and said with a smile, “Do not get greedy for more. Cut off the feelings. Uphold the sutra with single-mindfulness. The states shall manifest naturally, with all the Buddhas and Buddhalands appearing in your mind. When your mind is open, the meaning of everything is revealed”
Fully excited, I kowtowed time and again, “Thank you, Bodhisattva! I shall bear it in mind! I look forward to visit you soon. Your kind grace is as huge as the mountains!” With a wave of the hand, Maitreya Bodhisattva sent me back with a cloud of auspiciousness.
I kept thinking over what the Bodhisattva had spoken to me after I was back. What did He mean to tell me with what I saw? At that point, a voice spoke to my ears, “Laugh, laugh, laugh, and laugh, as it is laughable. Ask, ask, ask, and ask, but who is asking for more?”
I was quite taken aback. All of a sudden, I realized just how much I can act upon it though I have asked for so much? Isn’t it pitiable and pathetic? Master has been so earnest and keen in teaching us, but how much we know it?
Master, I have come to know you better somehow. You are never tired of teaching and instructing us, and yet how many of us have realized it? I am honest as usual, and I must write down what I truly think, even though others may misunderstand me: Let us cherish it! Our coming to the world is not easy. Meeting an enlightened master who enlightens us is even more rare. Why wait until we run our head into the brick wall? Who want to experience a tragedy again after it is over? Why get attached to it since originally there has not been the self? View the life with a joyful heart, and we’d find nothing belong to us. Pardon me for being so straight. I am writing down what I am thinking and want to say. Hopefully, we all get back to our true-self as soon as possible!
Amitabha-Buddha! May we all be filled with the joy of Dharma!

No comments: