Apr 5, 2009

The Visit to Manjushri Bodhisattva--Lingmei

The Visit to Manjushri Bodhisattva

It all felt like a dream when I was sitting in meditation. At the behest of Master, my soul travelled again. The Bodhisattva is not far away from us. It takes but one thought to meet Him.

As if in a trance, I arrived at Mount. Wutai. Wow! It was as beautiful as a picture! Incense fragrance and cloud canopy wreathed the temple halls. What a holy land for the immortals! I felt all of sudden refreshed, and was reminded of what Master had told me: I need to first find the Hiding-the-truth Cave to meet Manjushri Bodhisattva. As I was contemplating it, I saw a pair of chopsticks. Thin as they were, they extended upward to the heaven and drilled down the earth so that I could not see the end of them.
By then, a pair of shoes appeared before me. Well, they were not really shoes but shoe-like. As I looked inside them, it was vast and expanded into infinity and provided a different view. Before I could take a closer look, a blob of bright light appeared before me which was growing in size infinitely.
I guess I was too dull to comprehend it. At that time, I saw a pond of clean water, with cloud and mist hovering over it. The water was odd-shaped. Anyway, I did not give it any further thought but just wanted to wash away the five skandas and three poisons in my body with it. As I was in the water, I felt waves of electricity running through my body. It felt like every cell of mine was being cleaned. Slightly painful as it was, I felt refreshed and physically at ease when out of it. I asked, “What water is it?” Someone replied, “Five-angle Liberation.” Though I did not understand what it meant, I suddenly thought of why I was there and did not take any further look.
I hence asked Manjushri Bodhisattva for a bestowal of power. All of a sudden, I saw beams of bright golden light and I was immersed in it, too. I felt so warm. Within the golden light, Manjushri Bodhisattva appeared. Wow! He looked exactly as I had imagined. He had five hair buns on His head, and was sitting on a green lion. I felt Him a close relative whom I had not seen for so long. Overwhelmed with emotions, I knelt down, and bowed to Him, “At the behest of Master, I have come for your teachings.”
The Bodhisattva smiled to me and said, “The Heaven and Earth is a barren wilderness of chaos. The solution lies in the word ONE. Difference is the characteristics of life. It depends on who you are. Take a ‘count-me-in’ approach. The Dharma doors are expedient as people are guided through the door by expediency. Use your mind to contemplate it, and the path shall appear before you itself. When all is united in One, all the mist and cloud shall disperse. Once freed from greed, there is no impediment. You shall feel unfettered, and without the self. It is all but empty and unreal. Once awake, you shall realize it is but a dream. The Path is no Path, and the Way no Way. ”

As I did not get the point, I asked, “What is the priority for us?”

Manjushri Bodhisattva replied, “Subduing your mind is the key.”

He then went on to say, “Take nothing as real. How can you possibly return if your mind lingers in the secular world? Put it down, stay in accord with conditions, contemplate the mind in concentration, and you will find, by the time you return to your true-self, all that has lingered in your mind is but illusory like mist and cloud. Greed stays in the mind of those who are attached to the form. As a cultivator, you should cherish life with a different focus. Anything conditioned is flawed. Go along the Middle Way, and you shall be at ease. Follow Master’s instructions and reflect within. The weaknesses of others should help to reveal yours. Start from what may be as insignificant as a water drop. Don’t get impatient. Know your own limitations and stay in harmony with others. The eight consciousnesses are originally in one. You should make vows to bring them back to it. Do not be bent on achieving success. Take it as empty. The door to wisdom lies in your mind. You’ll get enlightened if your mind is clearly awakened. You’ll get enlightened if your mind is clearly awakened. You need to not only understand the Way but also practice it. Applying real efforts to cultivation is the key as we practice to certify the Way.”
As I did not quite understand it, I asked the Bodhisattva, “What is the best way to cultivate the Way?”
The Bodhisattva replied, “As I said, the focus is to cultivate the mind. When you cultivate to the extent that the self is removed, you reap the fruits. If you certify to it, attain the enlightenment, and your mind shall be characteristics of the Buddha nature. You are possessive even with the knowledge that all is but empty. Broaden your mind to be as wide as the ocean. Lower your position, and do not get more than you want. Take good use of the precious opportunity that you are born as humans. Get to the position that belongs to you, and transcend the self.
I asked, “What can I do in view of the challenges I have in cultivation at the moment?”
“Be diligent in cultivation, but refrain from impatience. Do not grumble. Customize the prescription to the symptoms. Arrogance is to be subdued by sincerity and patience. As you come and go, the self has got the better of you. Do not force yourself in understanding Master’s instruction to you. Love master as much you love yourself. Love others as much you love yourself. When you are able to show Great Love, the Buddha Dharma is omnipresent. Apply an unconditioned mind to whatever you do. Sincerity is found in an unconditioned mind.”

I asked, “Is it all?”

The Bodhisattva smiled to me, “Your head deserves a knock. No matter how myriad the transformations are, the mind remains unchanged. No matter how challenging it is, your mind should not harbour any fear. It is all up to you how fast time flies and how powerful your vows can be. Since you know why you are here, why not keep working for it? Assist the Master if you are to return to where you belong. If you are never content, false states will manifest. You have to refrain from being greedy and possessive before you attain perfection of wisdom.

Before I could put another question, the Bodhisattva gave a knock to my head, and said, “The knock is on your head, but I hope your mind receives the response. The nature shall manifest when your mind does not give rise to any thought. Do distinguish the right from the wrong when in the state. The demons exist right in your mind. They show up if you are greedy. Go ahead with cultivation, without asking what lies ahead, without wavering your faith, without grumbling or attachment. When the water comes, a channel is formed. As long as you are single-mindful, you always receive a response. If it is to benefit the living beings, you reap good fruits for your kindness and compassion. ”

I was so dull that I wanted to further ask some questions. The Bodhisattva had a knock on my head. I was happy to receive the knock, though. I dared not take a look at with which the Bodhisattva knocked on my head. It felt like a ruler.

I also heard, “I exhort you to be mindful of your master’s instructions. Originally you have been one, and there is no need to be jealous about each other. Do not be anxious. Move on with steady steps. By then, the flowers will blossom in your mind. I reiterate the importance of single-mindfulness to you because you have asked it and I want to make it clear to you. When you rid yourselves of the self with single-mindfulness, the dust in your mind shall be settled. It is meritorious if you are single-mindful of serving the living beings. The empty space shall appear if you are single-mindful. Cling to the single-mindfulness, and the inherent nature shall manifest. Though the fruit shall ripen eventually, you still have to cultivate to certify to it. The true gold has to be extracted in the fire. It has been long since you first came to cultivate. Do not ask when you are going to make it. You have to practice to evoke a response from the Buddha Dharma. Walking, standing, sitting or residing is but a means to facilitate your cultivation. Always remain single-mindful, and you shall awaken to it. By the time the mission is completed, we shall get together joyfully as that’s the appointment made.

I said, “Is it all?”
The Bodhisattva smiled and said, “While there are many seeds, the mind remains single. Find the one that suits you the best and the obstacles in the mind will be overcome. A plant has to be deeply rooted to flourish.
I kept thinking over it after I was back. I did not quite get the point of the Bodhisattva. I think I’d better leave it to Master to explain. I was blaming myself for not fulfilling the mission very well when I heard a voice speaking to my ears, “As long as you are wholeheartedly devoted, everything is done to perfection.” I am just worried more than necessary. Master often says that everything is created by the mind. We should contemplate it with our mind. When the mind is awakened, all is clear to us.

No comments: