Apr 10, 2009

The Visit to Universal Worthy Bodhisattva--Lingmei

The Visit to Universal Worthy Bodhisattva

Softly and lightly, I set off again, though having seen it all. I undertake the mission at Master’s behest. It is our wish that the Buddha Dharma abides permanently in both Heavens and Earth.

While sitting in meditation, my soul travelled. I was going to pay a visit to Universal Worthy Bodhisattva. It was as if in a dream. With a flash of light, I arrived at Mount. E’mei. I looked around, and felt it indeed a mountain for the immortals. Clouds hung over the mountains so that it looked like everything was silvered with white gown and was peeking through from behind the white clouds. I thought of what Master had told me that I need to go to the Flying Cloud Brook first to meet Universal Worthy Bodhisattva. At that time, numerous white clouds appeared suddenly in the sky. In less than a second, they transformed into a huge Buddha statue, smiling and showing a kindly face. It looked both like the Thus Come One Shakyamuni Buddha and Guanyin Bodhisattva. As I took a close look, the Buddha statue was growing larger endlessly and filled the universe completely. I may not have described it well. I felt myself immersed in the cloud, and in one with the Buddha.

As I was still immersed in the feeling, it all changed again. I saw sets of pictures played before me like a movie. First there were two small animals—seemed to be two kitties— talking to each other intimately. Then there were two young people politely declining with each other as they seemed to be cooperating to do something. After that, I saw two elderly people who together made quite a cozy picture. They all disappeared when I tried to take a closer look. Why did they all appear in a couple? There must be some connotations behind it. I could not figure out why.

I asked Master and Universal Worthy Bodhisattva for a bestowal of power. In the twinkling of an eye, everything changed before me. I was in a different place. Purple-colored air and mist hovered around. The heaven and earth became purple in color.

Universal Worthy Bodhisattva appeared amidst the Buddha light. Wow, He looked exactly as I had imagined, so amicable and respectable. He was riding on a white elephant with six tusks. Immediately, I felt inexpressibly warm and encouraged.
I knelt down right away and bowed to Him, “At the behest of Master, I have come for your teachings.”
Universal Worthy Bodhisattva said, “Fulfill the tough mission as you cultivate, and all in the Heavens and earth will rejoice for you. Practice is the key in cultivating the Great Way. Ponder over it in your everyday life. Behold the towering mountain and the boundless sea! Their appearance is no appearance, and their mark no mark. Alas! You may tell Heaven, “Contemplate it, and you’d see how esoteric and profound it is.”
That was beyond my ken. So I again asked, “What shall we do to make the Buddha Dharma abide permanently?”
The Bodhisattva explained, “Have faith built in his and her mind. Be devoted in every thought. There are numerous ‘MEs’ standing united as a group. The kindness of your master to you is as huge as the mountains. You disciples should respond to it should Master have any request. Your mind shall be in tune with Master’s, and are always connected. As long as your minds are joint in one, they will be as firm as the biggest five mountains. When your mind is opened and single-minded sincerity shown, everything is within your reach. Nevertheless, there are lingering thoughts in your mind.”
I again asked, “What can we do to get more people to cultivate the Buddha Dharma?”

The Bodhisattva answered, “Amitabha-Buddha! Work on your mind! Transform the small self, and you transcend your mind. All the words boil down to one truth: rid yourself of the small self, stand united firmly, and always keep in mind master’s instruction. Be mindful of it! Move the moutains away, and always cherish the Buddha in your mind. Upholding the sutra on a daily basis, and vow to do what you think in your mind. Holding on to single-mindfulness, and they shall be fulfilled. Put it down and let it go. You’d gain release gradually day by day. Take a look around by then, and you will fill the Dharma realm fully.

I asked again, “But I don’t know what I can do to benefit more people.”

The Bodhisattva answered, “The Buddha knows your mind well. Refrain from being anxious. Do it in a step-by-step and orderly manner. Don’t get obsessed to it. Stay in accord with conditions. Great love is invisible and yet omnipresent.

I asked, “What should we disciples do?”
The Bodhisattva smiled, rubbed my crown, and said, “Look into your mind! Look into your mind!”
Hearing Him say it, I was actually very much encouraged. I blurted out, “Bodhisattva, your remark is really wonderful, but you speak too little.”
The Bodhisattva replied with a smile, “Everything so wonderful, subtle, and perfectly covering everything is made by the mind, whose power can be as huge as the heaven. All the changes are made by the mind. It won’t be long before you can meet me everyday. The Buddhas are omnipresent. Cultivate with vigor and in a down-to-earth, step-by-step manner. Do seize the opportunity before you. Everything develops out of the self. It is because of the self that it arises. It is the thoughts in your mind that decide whether you’ll make it or fail.”
The Bodhisattva disappeared having finished saying it, not leaving any trace behind. I looked up the sky, and it was bright and clean. I looked down on the ground, and it was covered by green grass. I had no choice but to return.
I kept thinking upon returning why so many different pictures were unfolded before me when yet another book appeared. It was in the traditional complex form of the Chinese characters and I could not recognize them all. Before I took a closer look at it, the book had disappeared.
Um, the Bodhisattva wanted us to realize it by ourselves. I remember Master once described me as “crazy about the Dharma”. Yes, this is how I am now. My mind, my body, and every single cell of mind is immersed in the Dharma! As long as we cherish the Dharma in our heart, the Dharma can be found everywhere. As long as we cherish the Buddha in our mind, the Buddha is everywhere. : )
Amitabha-Buddha!

May we all be filled with the joy of the Dharma!

No comments: