Dec 20, 2008

On the Principle of No-Impatience----Lingwang

Master Zhenlin told us that when reading Sutra, we should adhere to the 5-Nos principle. No complaining, no suspicion, no impatience, no I-don’t-care-about-it attitude, and no-inconsistency.

Coming to think of it, being impatient is one of my biggest weaknesses. I need to keep reminding myself the principle of no-impatience, not only while reading and reciting the Sutra on Longevity, but also in everyday life.

The other day I was talking to Sister Ling Ju and she told me that she had been working on the translation of the Diamond Sutra since last August. She would listen to the recorded video files of Master Zhenlin talking on the Sutra. The translation can be done very soon. Nonetheless, she now decides to turn it down and start from scratch all over again, and this time, for three years.“Focus solely and wholeheartedly on it, and do it everyday.” Or, as Master Zhenlin suggested to her, that she should uphold and study the Diamond Sutra forever, not only in her present life. I am touched and inspired by her.

No-impatience means we need to be down-to-earth, with our mind at peace. There is no need to be hasty. The other day I was trying to translate into English the Lecture on Sutra on Longevity by Master Zhenlin. I found it very difficult to continue after a few paragraphs. My understanding about Buddhist concepts is too skin-deep at the moment while Master unfolds to us through the lecture how amazing the power of Buddha and how great Buddhism is. It is beyond my grasp. I have yet to even fully understand the Sutra on Longevity, not to mention translating the lectures on it by Master Zhenlin. So, I tell myself, “just be patient. Take your time to learn more. When time is ripe, you will be able to do it before you realize it.” Otherwise, not only will my efforts be in vain, but I may translate some points wrongly.

No-impatience also means we need to let things run in their own course, especially when trying to make the power of Buddha known by more people. We should not be too eager to share with our family or friends on how we are learning the Buddha Dharma. While I have been learning and reading the Sutra on Longevity for a little over one month, already I have come to feel keenly how it has positively changed my temper and world outlook. Whenever my friends or colleagues visit me, I could hardly wait to share with them the happiness I gain from it. However, after reading what Master Chin-kung said the other day, I realize I was being to hasty. “We should not push too hard when trying to make the power of Buddha known by more. Don’t be too hasty. Let it run in its own course. This is the fundamental principle. When the time is ripe, everything will unfold before you as it should. This is what World-Honor-One did. If only one or two people are ready to accept Buddha Dharma, He talked it to only the one or two people. If all the multitude are ready for it, He talked to them all. Let it run in its own course, and talk as the opportunities come. Only by doing so can people gain true benefit from the power of Buddha.”

No-impatience means even when you are asked of the same question everyday by different people, you still remain patient and answer them nicely with a smile. Master Zhenlin is a role model in this regard. Every evening as we meet at the Sina UC forum, he has to emphasize to different disciples or non-disciples the basic principle of “practice the Buddha Dharma by upholding and reading the sutra. Only one sutra is enough, and stick to it.” Master has never been impatient. I remember a funny experience at Beijing Railway Station. I got lost while trying to retrieve my luggage and was about to ask the owner of a grocery store nearby when I read a blackboard outside the store, “Go straight ahead, then turn left, to get your luggage. Don’t ask me. I am fed up with the question!” I guess ordinary people certainly could hardly bear to be asked of the same thing everyday. If I were in Master Zhenlin’s position, and with my temper, perhaps I have to set up a board at the Sina UC forum read “If you have troubles or worries in life, just read the sutra. Only one sutra is enough, and stick to it. Don’t ask me. I am fed up with the question!”

No comments: