Dec 25, 2008

How I Come to Lecture on the Sutra of Longevity -- Shi Zhenlin(Master)

After I got converted to Buddhism, I have been upholding and studying the Lotus Sutra and the Six Paramitas (namely, to give expansively, to uphold the precepts firmly, to be patient always, to be diligent constantly, to cultivate concentration diligently, and to clearly penetrate wisdom) . I am deeply amazed by how profound and esoteric the Buddha Dharma is, and touched by His bless. It has benefited me both physically and mentally. These years I have been asked by many Buddhist believers on how to provide a decent and prosperous life to their family, ensure peace of their children, be successful in business, cure diseases, rid themselves of bad luck, and on how to live a longer life, etc. They are disturbed by these worries and therefore unable to practice the Buddha Dharma with their mind at peace. While I had always tried my best to help them, I also felt that it was not enough.

I often thought about it when in a meditation learning the Sutra of Lotus. One day, still in a meditation, I heard someone saying to me from the air, “If you are to help the multitude solve their worries, Sutra of Longevity can help. I once proclaimed the Sutra, which can help them extinct their offences.” I was wondering how to get the Sutra, when the voice from the air reached my ears again, “It is available at the Internet.” All of a sudden, I realized it was Shakyamuni Buddha talking to me and reminding me of it. I soon turned on the computer, googled, and found it. Its full name is The Dharani Sutra of the Buddha on Longevity, the Extinction of Offences, and the Protection of Young Children. It is also called The Dharani Sutra of the Budda on Longevity, and the Extinction of Offences, or Sutra on Longevity.
I soon started to study the Sutra of Longevity that evening. Thanks to the bless of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, I not only understood every word and verse of the Sutra, but all the virtues and merits it brings forth. It is written in the Sutra all the afflictions people could have as a result of the offenses they committed, and that the offences can be extinguished by the Sutra.

A miracle also unfolded before me on that evening. As is written in the Sutra on Longevity, “If there is a great Bodhisattva who is replete with kindness and compassion, who recites this Sutra repeatedly before all animals, birds, wild lives, snakes, worms, rats, ant and others, so that they will hear this Sutra in their original consciousness, then these beings will each attain liberation from their group and kinds with the strength of Sutra and Mantra." Just as I read the verses, a mosquito flew to stay on my computer. It was one degree below zero that evening. We seldom see a mosquito when it is so cold. I thought it might be a living being whom I was supposed to meet. I then said to the mosquito, “Why don’t you stay here and listen to me reading the Sutra of Longevity? You shall be reborn a human being.” After saying that, I shifted my attention to reading the Sutra and forgot about it. However, it was still on my computer after I finished reading the Sutra. It was already after midnight, so I turned off the computer and was about to go to sleep.

Just then I heard someone saying to me, “Thank you for ferrying me over. I shall be reborn tonight to the family of A at Village B. I then asked whether there was a Village B the second day, and was told yes. I also visited the village myself and confirmed that yes, a baby boy was born to family A. By then, I fully understood why. Buddha was showing the strength of Sutra to me by letting the miracle happen. You may ask me the names of the family and village. I do not tell the name to you because they are still alive. It would bring troubles to them if you know who they are. Sorry that I have to let you down. Amitabha-Buddha! As Buddhist practitioners, only by placing our faith in the Buddha Dharma can we truly feel it. You don’t need to keep contemplating about the miracle either. My advice to you is that you study the Sutra whole-heartedly, and it is my best wish that with the strength, merits, and virtues of the Sutra, we enjoy blessings and bliss in our present life, and savour the Dharma Joy!

Namas Original Teacher Shakyamuni Buudha! Namas Manjushri Bodhisattva!It is my wish to ferry over the beings after I attain the Way!


No comments: