Feb 25, 2009

Master Zhenlin’s Commentary on Lingmei’s Visit to Earth Store Bodhisattva

I had sent Lingmei to pay a visit to Amitabha-Buddha. After the trip, I wanted her to visit Earth Store Bodhisattva in his world of lapis lazuli. As my disciples, you all took refuge with Earth Store Bodhisattva. Surely we should visit him. He is our Grand Master. Therefore, I sent Lingmei to meet him.
Earth Store Bodisattva resides in the world of lapis lazuli. While it is often mentioned in Buddhist scripture, no description is given to it. Perhaps nobody knows how it looks. People simply know that Earth Store Bodhisattva lives in the world of lapis lazuli, and tend to think it is underground. As a result, some would put the offerings made to Earth Store Bodhisattva on the ground as they think He lives under it.
In fact, Earth Store Bodhisattva lives in a very beautiful world, the world of lapis lazuli.
It was the first time that Lingmei had been there. I did not tell her how the world looked before she set off. I simply asked her to describe what she would see during her trip to me after she returned and I would know whether she’d been there or not. The world of lapis lazuli is unique in characteristics. I taught Lingmei the way to note down and put into words what she saw and experienced there. She did not know how to do it and therefore forgot all that happened to her during her first trip to the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss. She applied what I taught her and did write very well her second trip to the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss. She was therefore quite experienced in the writing by the time she visited Earth Store Bodhisattva.
Text:
It thus comes and thus goes, thus goes and thus comes. It comes and goes freely. Everything can thus come.
Commentary:
This explains how our true mind of brightness and permanence is. It is the Buddha nature inherent in us. The body is but an exterior shell. The true life, or the energy body, is the Buddha nature. Our true mind of brightness and permanence can be interpreted as the Buddha nature, the Energy Body. This is how energy exists. It thus comes and thus goes, thus goes and thus comes. It comes and goes freely. Everything can thus come. There is no obstacle to it. It just happens as is wished. To describe it more specifically, it is a state when the Buddha nature inherent in each of us manifests when our mind is awakened. The nature is our true-self, where the real life resides. What does the true-self look like? It is invisible, unmarked, tasteless, and formless. It does nothing but can do everything. We do not know who it looks. While it is not doing anything, everything is within its reach. Everything in the universe and each and every bit about our life evolves from it. This verse describes our true self.
Through the series of trips, Lingmei has distilled her true-self out. She is able to reach the state, where, coupled with the bestowal of power by Master, her true-self can get out of the physical body and roam around. It can be inconceivably speedy as it travels. Without it, it may take thousands of years for one to travel to the world of lapis lazuli. Only when our Buddha nature, the true mind of brightness and permanence, manifests can we roam around freely. So, the true mind is both real and illusory. It is real, but is also devoid of reality or illusion.
Text
It is both real and yet illusory. I was sitting in meditation and, as if in a dream and with a flash of light, I thought of paying a visit to Earth Store Bodhisattva. In less than a second after I gave to the thought, I felt I already had arrived at the world of lapis lazuli. Immediately I asked Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva for bestowal of power. I was thinking, “Master, please allow me to take a good look!” As it turned out, it was crystal everywhere. While it seems to be transparent, it is not. It was of such a blue color that word fails to describe how beautiful it is. I felt refreshed all over once I saw the light.
Commentary:
Lingmei described it as “It is both real and yet illusory….and, as if in a dream”: It was like a dream. She was sitting in stillness when she entered the state.
“With a flash of light, I thought of paying a visit to Earth Store Bodhisattva.” She gave rise to the thought.
“I felt I already had arrived at the world of lapis lazuli. Immediately I asked Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva for bestowal of power.” I told her to do this.
I was thinking, “Master, please allow me to take a good look.” She then found it a world similar to crystal. It seems to be transparent, but it is not. What is lapis lazuli? Well, it is kind of like crystal but not really the same. There is no way to describe it as we do not have it in our world. Its blue color is beyond description. Nothing in the secular world can surpass its beauty. It is just stunning! The blue color is quite similar to the color of our sky. But our sky is not crystal blue. Anyway, this is the best I can describe it to you.
“I felt refreshed all over once I saw the light.” Why did she feel so? She was in the state of the Bodhisattva. No wonder she felt refreshed!
Text
At that time, I saw our Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva. Ridding on the Earth Hearer, He emitted all kinds of lights. I felt Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva so familiar, as if I had known him since numerous lives past. I observed him carefully, and came up with a phrase that best describes him: 32 marks and 80 minor characteristics.
Commentary:
She then saw our Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva ridding on the Earth Hearer. The Earth Hearer used to be a dog when in the secular world. He was previously named Good Hearer. After our Original Master became the Earth Store Bodhisattva, his name was changed to Earth Hearer.
Lingmei felt Earth Store Bodhisattva very familiar to her because it was not the first time they met. We surely have met him many times.
“…as if I had known him since numerous lives past”: Right, this is just how it feels.
“I observed him carefully, and came up with a phrase that best describes him: 32 marks and 80 minor characteristics.”
According to an anthroposcopy in India, people with 32 marks are well-blessed in fortune and wealth. The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas all have 32 marks and 80 minor characteristics.
Text:
I felt like a naughty child and said, “Master, may I take a look at how you look when your crown is off?” Master smiled to me. In the twinkling of the eye, the light illumined heaven and earth. In the light there appeared uncountable Transformation Buddhas. I was filled with joy seeing it, but I also felt myself growing smaller. Immediately, I collected my thoughts, and asked Master for bestowal of Power. Master spoke to me, “ Take a look around.”
Commentary:
Lingmei was quite amusing. “I felt like a naughty child and said, ‘Master, may I take a look at how you look when your crown is off?’ Master smiled to me. In the twinkling of the eye, the light illumined heaven and earth. In the light there appeared uncountable Transformation Buddhas.”
This proves Lingmei must have been there. She could not have fabricated it by imagination.
“Master smiled, and instantly the light illumined heaven and earth.”There wasn’t any movement involved. It does not take any movement but a single thought for the Bodhisattva to have such a manifestation.
“In the light there appeared uncountable Transformation Buddhas.” Lingmei was filled with joy to see it. We don’t see it in the secular world. It is beyond description. The light is bright but not offending to the eyes. It is very beautiful and wonderful. Once she felt joyful, the state of her mind became ordinary again and “I also felt myself growing smaller.” In the state of the Bodhisattva, one with an ordinary mind would be like an ant and could not see things clearly. She knew why, as Master had warned her of it. Do not give rise to any secular thought, otherwise it is quite a trouble. Immediately, “I collected my thoughts, and asked Master for bestowal of Power.”
Master spoke to her, “Take a look around.”
Text:
I bid Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva, and went along. I felt the ground was transparent, too. I seemed to be walking in the air. I looked into the distance and saw no end. All the palaces were translucent like a crystal. By then, I arrived at a lune-shaped pond. The water surface was so calm that it looked like a mirror. By instinct, I wanted to take a bath in it. After I did so, I felt myself lighter. I heard someone speaking to me by then, “ It is the Half-moon Spring. You could have your body and bone transformed washing in it.”
Commentary:
The Master here refers to Earth Store Bodhisattva instead of me. She bid Earth Store Master farewell first, went ahead, and “I felt the ground was transparent, too. I seemed to be walking in the air.” Why is it? It is called the World of Lapis Lazuli because everything is made of Lapis Lazuli there. She felt herself walking in the air because it was all transparent.
I looked into the distance and saw no end. Certainly you could see no end. How could you see the end in the state of the Bodhisattva? She found all the palaces were translucent like a crystal. They were made of lapis lazuli.
Then, Lingmei arrived at a lune-shaped pond. This is something unique to the world of Earth Store Bodhisattva. “The water surface was so calm that it looked like a mirror. By instinct, I wanted to take a bath in it.” Why did she give rise to such a thought? It was Earth Store Bodhisattva that helped her with it. He wanted to give Lingmei such a blessing. After she did so, she felt herself lighter. She heard someone speaking to her by then, “ It is the Half-moon Spring. You could have your body and bone transformed washing in it.”
Text:
My interest grew intense. I continued to walk ahead. Suddenly, I saw many people. Well, I should call them Great Bodhisattvas. Their body was kind of transparent. They said to me, “You should listen to the Dharma talks first since you are here.” I replied, “I don’t quite understand it with my level of comprehension.” Then I heard Earth Store Bodhisattva speaking to me, “You can recite the mantra.” Once I gave rise to the thought, I was reciting it.
Once I gave rise to the thought, I was doing it. Having recited a few lines, I found myself sitting on the lotus like the Great Bodhisattvas. We were listening to Earth Store Bodhisattva expounding the Dharma. I thought to myself, “Master sent me here to get the true sutras.” Therefore, I said to Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva, “If it can benefit the public, please help me remember it all!” I listened as Earth Store Bodhisattva talked on the Shurangama Sutra and the Lotus Sutra.
Commentary:
Let’s see what is next. “My interest grew intense. I continued to walk ahead.” She then felt such a description is not that correct, and decided to call them “Great Bodhisattvas.” They were in truth Great Bodhisattva. She felt “Their body was kind of transparent”. Everything in the world of lapis lazuli is made of lapis lazuli, including their body. One won’t know it unless having been there. They said to her, “You should listen to the Dharma talks first since you are here.” The Bodhisattvas were trying to enlighten her. Wouldn’t it be a huge pity if she went there without listening to any sutra lecture?
Lingmei was worried that she perhaps would fail to understand it based on her level of comprehension. Then she heard Earth Store Bodhisattva speaking to her. Earth Store Bodhisattva did not have to be before her to speak to her. The voice reached here anyway. He said, “You can recite the mantra.” Reciting a mantra when in the state of the Bodhisattva is very powerful.
“Once I gave rise to the thought, I was doing it. Having recited a few lines, I found myself sitting on the lotus like the Great Bodhisattvas.”
I did not tell Lingmei why this time. In fact, if we turn the light and reflect within, we shall find ourselves becoming very large and our body of lapis lazuli when in such a state.
Let’s see what’s next.
I thought to myself, “Master sent me here to get the true sutras.” The Master she referred to is me this time.
“Therefore, I said to Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva, ‘If it can benefit the public, please help me remember it all!’”
I told her to do so. She could not have remembered it if without the help of Earth Store Bodhisattva.
She then listened as Earth Store Bodhisattva talked on the Shurangama Sutra and the Lotus Sutra.
The next is passage is about Master. I am not going to explain it.
Text:
“Spreading the Wonderful Dharma is not easy. It is a meritorious work that will benefit thousands of generations. People in the secular world have little blessings and their mind remains filthy. You shall leave behind a body of gold as the manifestation. You have now listened to Earth Store Master’s instructions, and you will attain the Way in the present life and that is irreversible. Whether it is real or illusory, you should always reflect within. The ten directions are not of the ten directions. Take your body as other’s body. No self, without a self. No Buddha, without a Buddha.”
Commentary:
A heavenly secret is contained in the lines. I am not going to talk on it. Try to figure it out yourself.
Text:
I could hear him clearly, but did not quite understand it. I then asked Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva whether he had more instructions to us. He replied,
“All the living beings in the Dharma Realm of the ten directions have great affinity with me. I appear before you from time to time in different transformations. You should seize the opportunity before you and get connected to me. When your life is over, you shall leave a dream-like legacy.
Commentary:
This passage is the instruction to us. We living beings in the Dharma Realm of the ten directions have great affinity with Earth Store Bodhisattva. That is why I ask you to take refuge with him to get connected.
He would appear before us with various transformations. We need to seize the opportunity when it is before us. We are connected with Him after take the refuge with Him, and should thereafter follow Master in cultivation.
After our life comes to an end, we shall leave a dream-like legacy, and will be remembered by people. They will be talking about us as we do to Shakyamuni Buddha and the Arhats around Him, for thousands of years. It’s going to be a legend. When we leave the world, many miracles shall take place.
Text:
I was just intrigued by the verse. As I wanted to take a look at the treasures of Earth Store Bodisattva, I again asked Master for a bestowal of power in my mind. In less a second, I saw a bead, which seemed to be transparent and white in color, and was emitting fine lights. I was told it was “wish-granting bead” I also saw something with a lotus-shaped dais with myriad transformations up on it. I asked what it was and was told that it was “Heaven and Earth Bowl”.
Commentary:
Lingmei asked Master for a bestowal of power so that she could take a look at the treasures of Earth Store Bodhisattva. In less than a second she saw them. First it was a bead. In fact we should notice it when we pay homage to the Bodhisattva. He usually holds on one hand a bead and on the other hand a gold bowl.
“I saw a bead, which seemed to be transparent and white in color”: It was almost beyond description.
“and was emitting fine lights. I was told it was “wish-granting bead. I also saw something with a lotus-shaped dais.” In many of the statues of Earth Store Bodhisattva, the dais is not built. Anyway, even the dais can have numerous transformations. She asked what it was and was told that it was “Heaven and Earth Bowl”.
If you pay attention to the statues of Earth Store Bodhisattva, you’d notice that in some cases the Heaven-and-earth Bowl is not there but the bead is. In fact, usually Earth Store Bodhisattva often holds the bowl and places the bead inside it. As the statue people have not seen Him like this, they build it without the bowl.
Text:
I was not satisfied having seen them. I said I would like to take a look at the mirror. I had thought it was like the mirror we use everyday, but it turned out to be just different. The mirror, no matter seen from what angle, was lune-shaped, transparent, but kind of like a crystal. I stood before it and wanted to see my true-self, but could see nothing. I again asked Master for bestowal of power, but only heard Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva speaking to me, “The condition is not ripe. Work to cultivate concentration.”
“I was not satisfied having seen them. I said I would like to take a look at the mirror. I had thought it was like the mirror we use everyday, but it turned out to be just different. The mirror, no matter seen from what angle, was lune-shaped, transparent, but kind of like a crystal”: It was actually lapis lazuli. She took a close look at it and felt it was not a mirror. in fact, she wanted to see her true-self, but could see nothing. Bodhisattva did not allow her to see anything from it for fear that she might reveal the heavenly secrets contained in it. It is called “Hiding-life Mirror”. What we have been over the past 80,000 kalpas can be reflected from it. That was why Earth Store Bodhisattva did not show it to her. Otherwise, Lingmei would have know lots of heavenly secrets.
I again asked Master for bestowal of power, but only heard Original Master Earth Store Bodhisattva speaking to me, “The condition is not ripe. Work to cultivate concentration.”
The Bodhisattva told her directly that the condition was not ripe. It was not ripe because her concentration was not firm enough. Well, Lingmei you had no alternative but to accept it.
Text:
“May I look around inside the mirror?” I asked. I found myself already inside it as I was asking. I felt it was but endless and boundless in all directions. “Why there is no end? Where is the end?” I was out of the mirror before I knew it.
“How come the mirror is so big?” I asked.
“It is Hiding-life Mirror. The marks of all beings are contained in it.”
I was reluctant to leave by then, and wanted to take a further look, as I felt my mission was not fulfilled yet.
“Master, do you have any more instructions for us?” I asked.
“Exhort people to cultivate virtues. Deflate self-importance.” Earth Store Bodhisattva answered. “You may go back now!”
In an instant, I was back.
Commentary
“May I look around inside the mirror?” I asked.
She was quite curious and wanted to see what’s inside the mirror. In fact, inside the mirror is the state of the Buddha, which is formless, unmarked and tasteless.
“I found myself already inside it as I was asking”:
Earth Store Bodhisattva allowed her in and she was in it.
I felt it was but endless and boundless in all directions. “Why there is no end? Where is the end?” I was out of the mirror before I knew it.
This was so because it was unmarked and formless.
I felt it was but endless and boundless in all directions. “Why there is no end? Where is the end?” I was out of the mirror before I knew it.
She was inside it for a short while and out again.
“How come the mirror is so big?” She asked.
The Master answered, “It is Hiding-life Mirror. The marks of all beings are contained in it.”
Though she was not supposed to know the secrets contained in the mirror, the Earth Store Bodhisattva still told her what the mirror was about. It is really thought-provoking! Just to think that the marks of all the beings are in it! Isn’t it amazing?
I was reluctant to leave by then, and wanted to take a further look, as I felt my mission was not fulfilled yet.
“Master, do you have any more instructions for us?” I asked.
“Exhort people to cultivate virtues. Deflate self-importance.” Earth Store Bodhisattva answered. “You may go back now!”
In an instant, I was back.
I was reluctant to leave by then, and wanted to take a further look, as I felt my mission was not fulfilled yet.
On the one hand, the mission was not fully completed. On the other hand, she was just being intrigued by the world. Nevertheless, she should not stay in the state for too long, despite the bestowal of power by Master. As I had warned her, “if you stayed there for too long, your Old Wang (Lingmei’s husband) may be too old to be found.” (laughter)
Lingmei then asked, “Master, do you have any more instructions for us?”
“Exhort people to cultivate virtues. Deflate self-importance.” Earth Store Bodhisattva answered.
Do not always think for ourselves. Refrain from being selfish and always put we ourselves before others. Some people are so ego-centric that they start everything from “I”. I’ve seen it. I heard about it. I want to be rich. I want a wife. I want a child. We don’t need the false self but should get back to the true-self. The self in the physical body is false.
Earth Store Bodhisattva answered. “You may go back now!”
In an instant, I was back.
Earth Store Bodhisattva knew you should not stay there for long even with the bestowal of power by Master.
Text:
Everything that had happened remained real as if right before my eyes after I returned. I immediately worked to collect my thoughts, and noted down what I had seen and heard. As my skill was too weak, I could not quite understand it, nor could I tell which was true and which was illusory. Having noted it down I asked Master, “Is it a dream?”
Then I heard a voice speaking to my ears, “It is both real and illusory, like a poem.” I thought to myself, “While some people could roam around from heaven to earth and the realms in the ten directions, they could not overcome the obstacle in my mind.” I seemed to gradually understand it, though. The Dharma realms in the ten directions are right in our mind!

Commentary:
After she returned, everything remained so real as if right before her eyes. It was like her dharma eyes and heavenly eyes were open. Immediately, she collected her thoughts, and noted down what I had seen and heard. As my skill was too weak, I could not quite understand it, nor could I tell which was true and which was illusory. Having noted it down I asked Master, “Is it a dream?”
Then I heard a voice speaking to my ears, “It is both real and illusory, like a poem.”
When we reach the state of the Buddha, we’d find that all is illusory, be it the world of lapis lazuli, or a Buddhaland. It is true if we are in our current state.
Lingmei then thought to herself, “While some people could roam around from heaven to earth and the realms in the ten directions, they could not overcome the obstacle in my mind.” I seemed to gradually understand it, though. The Dharma realms in the ten directions are right in our mind! Lingmei realized that the biggest challenge lies in our mind. We cannot put down what could easily be put down. We take what is false as true. If we put it all down, we could enter heaven and roam about in th Buddhalands of the ten directions. With the bestowal of power by Master, she realized that the Dharma realms of the ten directions are right in our mind. Our true mind of permanence and brightness is the Dharma realms, and is the Buddha.
Text:
I would like to share with my family all that I have seen during my trip. Hopefully, it can serve as a mirror and illumines all you, and help you attain the Way!
Commentary:
All of us who cultivate the Dharma are members to the family. It is a mirror that illumines us and helps us attain the Way. The Buddha Dharma
We practice the Dharma to improve ourselves not to find faults with others. It won’t work if you try to ferry over others while you yourselves do not cultivate.
Shakyamuni Buddha told us that we need to ferry ourselves over first before taking others across.
Lingmei’s visit to Earth Store Bodhisattva is very helpful. I used to talk a lot, and some of you thought I simply was talking on what I had read from books. Now that Lingmei has been there and brought back with her what she had seen in person, surely it is more convincing. Do not get jealous (laughter)! You too have your own missions to fulfill. Some ask me, “Why cannot I travel to those wonderful places?” It is because you are too heavily burdened, by seven emotions, six desires, by attachment, and by arrogance. It takes only one thought to enter heaven and drill down the earth!
Amitabha-Buddha!

May the merit and virtue accrued from this work,
Adorn the Buddha’s Pure Lands,
Repaying the four kinds of kindness above,
And aiding those suffering in the paths below.
May those who see and hear of this,
All bring forth the resolve for Bodhi,
And when this retribution body is over,
Be born together in Ultimate Bliss.
Amitabha-Buddha!

No comments: